Skewered cilantro-mint scallops dipped in a tangy orange sesame dipping sauce.
This recipe is ridiculously easy to make and truly delicious. The cilantro-covered scallops are incredibly tasty, and the orange sesame dipping sauce is tangy, citrusy, and addictive.
This dish also makes for a very nice-looking appetizer. I used medium-sized scallops here, but large scallops would work equally well.
I generally feature my own recipes on this site, but this one is from Bon Appétit. I can’t even say that I changed it much. It is delicious as is!
FOR THE SAUCE:
1/4 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Rice Vinegar (Unseasoned)
2t Minced Ginger
2t Soy Sauce
2t Srirracha (or any other Chili-Garlic Sauce)
1t Sesame Oil
1t Grated Orange Peel
2T Chopped Cilantro
2T Chopped Mint
2T Toasted Sesame Seeds
1. Mix the above ingredients and season with salt and pepper. If you want to make this sauce in advance, hold off on adding the fresh herbs and toasted sesame seeds until you are ready to serve. You can mix the rest up to seven days ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator.
FOR THE SCALLOPS:
2T Peanut Oil
1T Sesame Oil
36 Scallops (with side muscles trimmed)
1T Chopped Mint
1T Chopped Cilantro
1. Heat both oils in a large skillet on high heat.
2. Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper, then add to skillet.
3. Sautée until centers turn opaque (2 minutes per side for medium-sized scallops).
4. Transfer to a bowl and toss with mint and cilantro to coat.
5. Skewer scallops, arrange on a platter, and serve with sauce.